I think the term "subnet" should not be used in this document, and
should be replaced with "prefix" or "link" throughout, as appropriate.

"subnet" is not defined in any of the base IPv6 RFCs, as far as I
know.  The term doesn't appear at all in RFC 2460.    Two instances
seem to have crept into RFC 4861, and four in RFC 4862.
Interestingly, some of those instances of "subnet" should, in my
opinion, be replaced with "prefix" and some with "link"...

...which gets to my point that "subnet" is an imprecise term and can
have different meanings in different contexts.

In the interest of full disclosure, there is one instance of "subnet"
in RFC 3315.  We should have used "prefix".

- Ralph