On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 18:06 +0900, Yukiyo Akisada wrote:
> I have a question about upper-layer reachability confirmation defined in RFC
> 4861.
>
> When the neighbor cache state for the default router is STALE
> and the host sends a packet to off-link,
> the default router sends redirect packet to the host.
>
> Can the host considers that the default router is REACHABLE?
>
> Personally, I didn't expected this behavior.
> But I found that an implementation behaves like this
> when I'm developping the conformance tester.
>
> How do you think about this behavior?

That seems reasonable to me.  The host sent a packet to the router, and
the router responded with one of its own which was received by the host.
This is bi-directional reachability.

In general though, I cringe at the mention of the word "conformance" in
the context of IPv6 neighbor discovery, and your question is an example
of why.  That's probably a separate discussions though, and one which
has already been masticated over numerous times before in the distant
past. :-)

-Seb