Hi Erik,

"Erik Kline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [snip]
>
>> In the end, instead of defining "An uniform format for IPv6 extensions
>> headers" using a new specific type, wouldn't it be easier to just force
>> future definitions of extension headers to follow the common layout
>> proposed below. What were the arguments raised privately or during
>> meetings not to follow that path?
>
> One of the issues is the "cross-pollution" of IPv6 header number space
> and IP protocol number space.

yes.

> IPv6 headers are indistinguishable from higher layer protocols.

In the network, they are. But at the end of the path, the destination
will make the distinction.

> I'm thinking of a new end-node header that a firewall might block for
> lack of recognition when in fact the higher layer protocol might be
> recognizable (TCP, UDP, ...).

I see your point, but ... if it is not able to parse an unknown
extension header before the upper layer, then, trying to interpret this
upper layer based on its *local and partial understanding of the
context* looks like a bad idea to me. Just consider the case of a
RH2-carried or HAO in DestOpt-carried TCP packet which has an invalid
checksum during transport.

L4 is an E2E matter. Deep inspection in the network, like NAT, are
*usually* just bad ideas that kill E2E (IMHO).

I understand the logic for having a common header format for IPv6
extension headers (parsing, code reuse, easier dissection when
debugging) and a different number space, but I just don't buy the FW
argument.

> With the introduction of a separation between the two more policy
> choices become possible.

yes.

Just to clarify my position, I think the draft is a good idea. It would
have been better to have that format for extensions defined that way
from the beginning in IPv6 specification ;-)

Cheers,

a+