2008/10/16 Arnaud Ebalard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi,
>
> Suresh Krishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>   We have resolved all the issues raised during the last IETF meeting
>> in the latest version of this draft. We would like the people who had
>> issues with the earlier versions of this draft to check if they are OK
>> with the changes. The latest version of the draft is available at
>>
>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-krishnan-ipv6-exthdr-06.txt
>
> First, a typo:
>
>> 4.  Exceptions
>>
>>    The the Generic IPv6 extension header is generic enough that it is
>
>     ^^^^^^^
>
> Then, a comment:
>
> This is version 6 of the draft but I only found a single comment in the
> mailing list archive so my question below may already have been done
> during a meeting or privately.
>
> Instead of creating a new specific header type and a specific registry
> for new allocations, I wonder if it would not be easier (for everyone,
> AFAICT) to just consider:
>
> - *currently* existing headers : implementations will have to cope with
>  those ones.
> - future header: force those to be in the common TLV format (1-byte NH,
>  1-byte Length, Data)
>
> In the end, instead of defining "An uniform format for IPv6 extensions
> headers" using a new specific type, wouldn't it be easier to just force
> future definitions of extension headers to follow the common layout
> proposed below. What were the arguments raised privately or during
> meetings not to follow that path?

One of the issues is the "cross-pollution" of IPv6 header number space
and IP protocol number space.  IPv6 headers are indistinguishable from
higher layer protocols.  I'm thinking of a new end-node header that a
firewall might block for lack of recognition when in fact the higher
layer protocol might be recognizable (TCP, UDP, ...).  With the
introduction of a separation between the two more policy choices
become possible.