Hi Jeffrey,

I have attached a picture which shows one of the topologies we use for our PMTUD tests.

In this test case we transmit an Echo Request from REF-Host2 to TAR- Host1 with a packet size of 1500 bytes. REF-Host2 fragments the Echo Request it transmits. TAR-Host1 replies to this Echo Request with an Echo Reply to REF-Host2 with a size of 1500 bytes that is not fragmented. TAR-Router1 sends a Packet Too Big message in response as this Echo Reply is too large to forward onto Network 2.

In all of the cases we have seen TAR-Host1 does fragment future Echo Replies to REF-Host2, however, it does not retransmit any Echo Replies for Echo Requests received prior to receiving the Packet Too Big message from TAR-Router1.

Additionally from the tests we have performed in our lab if TAR-Host1 were to send an Echo Request with a packet size of 1500 bytes TAR- Router1 would send a Packet Too Big message in response. In all cases we have seen TAR-Host1 would not re-transmit this Echo Request and this would be counted as packet loss in the ping command results.

If this does not ideally match your test scenario we'd be happy to work together off-line to replicate your scenario.

Thanks,
Tom

<<inline: MTU_Interoperability_Topology.png>>