At Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:56:43 +0100,
Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >    An IPv6 address prefix used for stateless autoconfiguration [ACONF]
> >    of an Ethernet interface must have a length of 64 bits.
>
> I disagree with this.  There's an implementation of SLAAC over Ethernet
> whose prefix can be shorter than 64 and works ok.  I suppose there's at
> least another similar implementation.

I don't understand the logic.  Simply because there's an
implementation that doesn't follow the standard cannot be a reason for
changing the standard.  If we really want to do that, there should be a
clearer and stronger reason.

The pros and cons on the fixed prefix length for stateless
autoconfiguration had been discussed to death, and as far as I
remember the attempt to change the fixed length has never convinced
the community.  I'm not necessarily objecting to another attempt by
pointing it out, but I suspect we'll all just waste time by repeating
the same discussion again (ending up no change).

Out of curiosity, btw, what's the implementation that uses a shorter
prefix (or more essentially in this context, a larger interface
identifier), and for what does it use the larger IFID space?

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.