Hi Dmitry,

On 09-06-22 09:51 PM, Dmitry Anipko wrote:
Hello,

I have a question on whether router solicitations with unicast destination
addresses are valid under RFC 4861, and if they are, whether they shall be
handled by routers equally to the solicitations with multicast destination
address.

The RFC says:

6.3.7.  Sending Router Solicitations
A host sends Router Solicitations to the all-routers multicast   address.

and

4.1.  Router Solicitation Message Format
     Destination Address - Typically the all-routers multicast address.

These two statements seem only to define solicitations with multicast destination
addresses (although it is not clear to me what "typically" in the latter may
imply).

An unicast destination address is valid but not very useful. That is why the multicast address is "typically" used. I am curious though, and I would appreciate it if you can give a little bit of background on why you would like to send an RS with a unicast destination address. If you are doing it for checking reachability, an NS would be a better bet.

Cheers
Suresh