Thanks Hesham, Hemant and Suresh for your responses.

It seems from them that the implied intent was that unicast-destined RSes
should be allowed to be both sent and received and should be handled equally
with multicast-destined ones. If that is the case, shall the RFC text be
amended to reflect that more clearly?

To answer Suresh's question:

>> An unicast destination address is valid but not very useful. That is why
the multicast address is "typically" used. I am curious though, and I
would appreciate it if you can give a little bit of background on why
you would like to send an RS with a unicast destination address. If you
are doing it for checking reachability, an NS would be a better bet.

While as it was pointed out in your responses, unicast RSes may be
useful/reasonable for any type of link, I faced this in the case of ISATAP
links.

ISATAP clients are provisioned with potential routers by out of band mechanism.
 In general the clients could send multicast RSes to the provisioned routers,
however ISATAP doesn't natively support multicast, and hence it seemed that it
would also be reasonable for the clients to send unicast RSes to the
provisioned routers directly. However it was not clear whether such behavior
would be compliant with RFC 4861.

Please let me know if you think there are additional considerations for this
behavior in case of the non-multicast capable links.

Thanks,
Dmitry