From: ipv6-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipv6-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
Dunn, Jeffrey H.
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 9:00 AM
To: Bob Hinden; Duncan, Richard J. (Jeremy) CONTRACTOR
Cc: nav...@nav6tf.org; ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Implementation specific Interface-ID

Vijay et al.,

RFC 4291 states in section 5.1:

"For all unicast addresses, except those that start with the binary value
000, Interface IDs are required to be 64 bits long and to be constructed in
Modified EUI-64 format."

Further, RFC 4291 is referenced in RFC 2464 (actually, it is the previous
version) as providing further guidance on the formation of Interface ID's.

As a result, it appears to me that your methodology is not compliant with
either RFC 2464 or 4291. That said, DAD should take care of any operational
problems associated with not using the modified EUI-64. Further, since you
appear to be using 64-bit Interface ID's , all the implementations I have
come across should interoperate with your methodology.

Best Regards,

Jeffrey Dunn
Info Systems Eng., Lead
MITRE Corporation.