Hi Jeffrey,

Reply inline.

> RFC 4291 states in section 5.1:
>
> "For all unicast addresses, except those that start with the binary value
> 000, Interface IDs are required to be 64 bits long and to be constructed in
> Modified EUI-64 format."
=> I am not sure this is not the only way I can form a Modified EUI-64
Interface-ID. Agreed that "Links or Nodes with IEEE 802 48-bit MACs"
generally use this method. But I don't think its a MUST. RFC 4291
mentions 2 other types of Modified EUI-64 Interface Identifiers,
"Links with Other Kinds of Identifiers" and "Links without
Identifiers" under "Appendix A: Creating Modified EUI-64 Format
Interface Identifiers". As I am generating only a "Locally unique
Interface-ID", can't I claim to fall under "Links without
Identifiers"? I would think I'd be complaint to RFC 4291.

Further, since you appear to be using 64-bit Interface ID's , all the
implementations I have come across should interoperate with your
methodology.
=> I forgot to mention that I also ensure that the octets "x,y,z,w" I
use is NOT the bit-pattern "FFFE", thereby ensuring that it does not
clash with any autoconf addresses generated in the usual way.

RFC 2464 does'nt say its a "MUST" to generate Modified EUI-64
Interface-ID from IEEE 802 48-bit MAC in order to be complaint. So,
why do you think I would'nt conform to RFC 2464?

Thanks & Regards
Vijay