Hello,

I take the freedom to move this to 6man mailing list...

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 19:30:54 +0100, Gorry Fairhurst <go...@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
wrote:
> Have you any comments on:
>
> draft-fairhurst-6man-tsvwg-udptt-01
>
> I am trying to figure-out whether this is a good thing to work further
> on.

Canonically, you would use UDP-Lite for this. Of course, UDP-Lite is
impractical in IPv4 due to incompatible middleboxes, especially NAPTs. But
as it comes to IPv6, I do not see this as a real problem with UDP-Lite over
*IPv6* (contrary to IPv4).

Admittedly, UDP-Lite over IPv6 will still have problem, should there be
v4-v6 protocol translation (PT) on the path (I think that was Dave Thaler's
counter-argument at the last meeting). I am not convinced that this is a
serious case here, as it seems dubious to me that we will see UDPTT through
protocol translators. But lets say we will.

Then I would like to know why and how UDPTT will work better than UDP-Lite.
Namely, I would like to know how UDPTT/IPv6<->checksum-free UDP/IPv4
translation is supposed to happen, why IPv4 middleboxes won't explode on
the resulting packets, and how it solves the checksum performance issue. I
am not in any way implying that this is possible or impossible or anything
- but I think it belongs in the draft or in a companion draft thereto.

Also, it might be worth to have an socket API consideration appendix...

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont