On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 09:43:16 +0200, a...@natisbad.org (Arnaud Ebalard)
wrote:
>> This all leads me to conclude that the node requirements doc should
>> not make SEND even a SHOULD. Ideally, somewhere between a MAY and
>> SHOULD. I'd love to see SEND implemented and deployed (so we can
>> figure out how well it works and fix any shortcomings), but I think it
>> is premature to recommend its implementation an all nodes.
>
> +1
>
> Some implementations have been done, which provided some feedback on the
> specification (padding in Signature Option, ...) but the main issue IMHO
> is the lack of feedback from a deployment standpoint (router load,
> certificates deployment and maintenance, ...).
>
> Even if some vendors have various levels of support for the protocol in
> their routers, there is no major client OS providing a good level of
> support for the protocol: not available yet in Windows or OS X,
> available in FreeBSD via the ports (DoCoMo implementation, no upstream
> maintainer), externally available for Debian, not available in Ubuntu or
> RedHat ...

IIRC, the DoCoMo implementation is basically a proof-of-concept-grade hack.
It works with user-space packet filtering hooks, instead of being built
into the real IPv6 neighbor discovery code.

SeND is theoretically not easy to deploy - you need to provision
cryptography material on all nodes. That implementations are not even
properly integrated into operating systems makes it worse. I somewhat
expect that somewhat secure networks will use network-side filtering as is
done for ARP instead, as it requires no host-side changes.

I don't think it deserves a "SHOULD" at this point.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont