On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 3:36 AM, Benny Amorsen<benny+use...@amorsen.dk> wrote:
> Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> There's no retransmission in UDP.
>
> Obviously not by the protocol stack. That doesn't stop applications from
> retransmitting. TFTP or SIP won't give up just because the first packet
> is lost. RTP will keep transmitting new packets, even if it doesn't
> retransmit the lost ones.

So, back to my point.. what's the signal to the application that
should stop/backup/try another method? classically either packet-loss
+ tcp-backoff or icmp/error messages does this.

Dropping packets on the floor isn't in these two options. The proposed
path from Christian seems like a great direction though.

(thanks christian)

-Chris