Hi All,

We are currently specifying an IPv6 hop by hop option which will be used to carry node related information along a path within a network domain. There has been previous proposals submitted to the IETF within this area, such as IPv6 Route Record [1] and Connection/Link Status Investigation[2]. We are aware of the reasons these proposals have been rejected previously, being mainly related to the problems of the hop by hop option and the operators unwillingness to share private data.

As such a technique has a variety of useful applications to management and monitoring, we believe that a standard method of managing data entry within an IPv6 hop by hop option along with standard data format templates can be of great benefit to the future development of in-line based network management and monitoring protocols. We would like to see if there is much interest in specifying such a draft and whether anyone would like to assist in the specification of such an Internet Draft. We wish to constrain this solution to intra domain (such as DiffServ).

Looking forward to some discussion on this issue.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kitamura-ipv6-record-route-00
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipngwg-hbh-ext-csi-02

Best Regards,
--