On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:25:59 +0100, Alan Davy <ad...@tssg.org> wrote:
> The point of our proposed solution is to specify a common set of rules
> or guidelines for managing the entry of data into the hop by hop option
> header data field. The hop by hop option can be ignored by routers that
> do not support it or blocked by edge routers that do not like/recognise
> it.

I wonder how that is possible. Middleboxes want to find the transport
header, and often don't like in-band data that they don't understand (think
of NATs and firewalls). Also hardware is often optimized for the case that
there is no hop-by-hop header. If there is, I understand in many cases,
packet processing will go through "slow path".

It's irrelevant whether your extension can be safely ignored - it will
still incur some processing overhead in any case. And *I* am only answering
your question why many people do not like HbH. I am not a network gear
vendor or operator myself.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont