(301) 448-6965 (mobile)

From: Hemant Singh (shemant) [mailto:shem...@cisco.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 7:39 PM
To: Dunn, Jeffrey H.; Fred Baker (fred); Erik Nordmark; Hesham Soliman; JINMEI
Tatuya / 神明達哉; Thomas Narten; Susan Thomson (sethomso);
william.allen.simp...@gmail.com
Subject: RE: Broadband Forum liaison to IETF on IPv6 security

Could be VLAN like one has L2 VPN in the cable specifications.   But L2 VPN
will limit one to  1024 max per cable line card on a  CMTS – it’s a very
limited for services arch in cable and I don’t think deployed very widely.  The
point is a cable modem receiver chip is built to send its upstream data only to
the CMTS and likewise receive data from the CMTS – so how can two modems even
talk to each other?

The link-local domain on the CMTS is also a well-defined and tied to a virtual
L3 network interface that aggregates several physical cable network interfaces
and all the modems.  As of Fall 2007, CableLabs in the U.S. that certifies CMTS
and CM equipment has certified more than one CMTS vendor for Docsis 3.0 IPv6
with ND Proxy support on the CMTS.

I will be in Hiroshima, so if anyone would like to understand the cable and
CMTS link-local model and mcast for ND in cable,  please find me – I am hanging
out in 6man, v6ops, INT area and the like.

Regards,

Hemant