From: owner-v6...@ops.ietf.org [mailto:owner-v6...@ops.ietf.org] On Behalf Of
Fred Baker (fred)
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:18 PM
To: Erik Nordmark; Hesham Soliman; JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉; Thomas Narten; Susan
Thomson (sethomso); william.allen.simp...@gmail.com
savi-...@tools.ietf.org; v6ops-...@tools.ietf.org; 6man-...@tools.ietf.org;
Robin Mersh
Subject: Fwd: Broadband Forum liaison to IETF on IPv6 security

Gentlemen:

I'm writing to you as the authors of RFCs 4861 and 4862. In a past meeting, I
think the one in March, an issue came up in Savi that has now been brought to
our attention in a formal manner. The problem is that in certain access network
technologies, notably DSL and I believe Cable Modem, the connectivity between
the CPE host or router and the ISP's first hop router is siloed - it looks like
an Ethernet to the host but in fact is separated into separate channels. The
effect is that while the ISP router can speak to and hear all of the CPEs it is
connected to, the CPEs cannot hear each other. This has implications for
Duplicate Address Detection in SLAAC.

We look forward to your advice.

Fred Baker

IPv6 Operations