HI Thomas:

Unfortunately having just changed jobs I'm having trouble exactly recreating
all my sources of information...

The following was one anecdotal example offered during our discussions in the
spring..."...in a real nationwide telco today with approximately 3.5million DSL
ports there is about 300-400 duplicate MAC@ alarms active on the DSLAMs at any
time, and this is only where 2 of the same MAC@ appear on the same DSLAM
(384-1000 users each)..."

TO take it back up a notch...

In a perfect world where all MACs were properly unique and all implementations
correctly constructed link local via EUI-64 we'd all be happy campers, it works
as intended. Unfortunately that is not the case and we seem to have a hierarchy
of grief.....

1) Some carriers have deployed MAC address translation in the Access node/DSLAM
to ensure MAC uniqueness. This means ALG functionality is required for Ethernet
OAM and other protocols, and while fixing MAC uniqueness, does not address
duplicates in link local construction unless NAT of the lower 64 bits of LLA is
included in the mix.

2) Our liaisons with IEEE on the subject and some proposals to the forum focus
on the fact that uniquness only needs to exist in a given Ethernet broadcast
domain, hence keeping a few extra VLANs in the back pocket to shift duplicate
customers to solves the problem, and my math suggested this would inflate VID
usage by a corresponding few percent. Issue being this then breaks down if the
link local address is not constructed from the MAC, and RFCs have been trotted
out at the BBF on NOT using the EUI-64 specifically to defeat traffic analysis
attacks. This being an expected deployment scenario when wireless media in the
home is considered and an emerging class of FMC capable terminals is deployed.

So a solution analogous to DAD appears to be needed, that originates with the
edge router, where if the detected duplicate does not subsequently behave in a
prescribed manner service may then be denied in the interest of the common
good. As DAD is already deployed that would appear to be a path of least
resistance vs waiting years for a roll out of a fix. However if my memory
serves correctly, unicast from the edge router would be a desirable form and I
am unsure if that is supported in standards or implementations...

Cheers