On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

Doesn't the home modem, or "residential gateway," have hard-coded in it the unique IPv6 prefix for each home? If yes, then why would a home PC host not always have a unique IPv6 address, even if the MAC address might be duplicated in some other home on the broadcast domain?

First of all, we're talking MAC addresses here (ethernet address), not IPv6 address. And no, I haven't seen any residential rollout plan where IPv6 would be provisioned in the static way you describe, DHCPv6-PD seems to be the most popular method seen in discussion. And since the home gateway needs to talk to the ISP router in the PoP somehow, this might be over a shared broadcast domain, thus the worry about duplicate MAC addresses (both in aspect of L2 learning being broken, plus the home gateways choosing the same link local address to use on the WAN side).

And why would ND conducted inside a home go beyond the "residential gateway"?

This is on the WAN-side of the home we're talking about, not in the home LAN.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se