On Sat, 5 Dec 2009, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
There is concern that this is an informational RFC.

I don't understand that. Why would anyone care?

I do have one concern, though. It would be much better if the
code fragments were clearly under the current regime (i.e.
simplified BSD license from the IETF Trust).

For the record, the first version of code appeared in 2002 and was from someone at ETRI:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-shin-ngtrans-application-transition-01

About a year later, I rewrote and reformatted most if not all of the code that now appears in RFC4038.