I guess adding a default gateway to achieve the scenario below is a shortcut to
cluttering the host with a lot of specific routes that exclude P1::/48

If the admin wants the hosts to route all packets to P1 go via R1 or R2 for
load balancing or optimization - this algorithm should not break the original
intentions in steady state. A few packets getting routed through R3/R4
shouldn't be a big deal in this case - of course if the network is super flaky
then there is a problem - however this algorithm will not make a big difference
to connectivity in such a network.

Any other stricter intention will most likely have some filtering on R3 and R4
to drop packets destined to P1::/48. In this scenario this algorithm has not
altered the host's connectivity in any way.
1. Without this algorithm - the preferred routers R1 and R2 are not reachable.
Still the host attempts to resolve these addresses and potentially drop the
packets while they are unreachable.
2. With this algorithm - when R1 and R2 are unreachable - the host attempts to
send to R3 and R4 - they fail too (assuming filtering on R3 and R4). The host
keeps probing R1 and R2 and when they are reachable the host switches to R1 /
R2. The time to switch may be a little more with the algorithm.

The extra work on the admin's (Which is probably done anyway in the
non-loadbalancing scenario to prevent misconfigured hosts from sending packets
destined to P1::/48 to R3 and R4) part is to filter the packets for P1::/48 on
the routers R3 and R4 if they truly want all packets destined to P1::/48 to go
over R1 or R2.

Simha