Erik,

I can live with that if you can, i.e., only have routers
and/or bridges verify source addresses, and let hosts
accept packets that may come from any routers. It would
make life a lot easier for the hosts.

> But I don't see what that has to do with RFC 4191.
>
> > Some routing protocols declare a link down when a certain
> > number of hello messages are lost. I don't see why NUD
> > could not be used in the same way.
>
> Perhaps because  NUD is *NOT* a Hello protocol.
> With enough thrust pigs can be made to fly, but that doesn't mean it is
> a good idea.

This is not an all-pigs-flying concept. As long as the
route lifetime has not expired, if NUD can be used as a
hint that the route has become non-operational then why
can't it be used as a hint that the route has come back
to life.

> The closest thing we have to a hello protocol in ND are the periodic
> RAs. And when the default router lifetime from the RAs time out, then
> the default route, as well as any more specific routes from that router,
> will time out.

Correct; a route that has timed out is no longer usable.
Nothing about this changes that fact. But, by my read
of the spec the router lifetime applies only to the
node's ability to act as a default router - not its
ability to service more-specific routes.

Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com