Well, so I was thinking that the ULA was there to allow some
home-routing auto-setup. If the 2nd router is not intended to pick up an
address from the 1's ULA, then this auto-setup scheme seems to be undone
(on the assumption that one does want to reach the 2nd router from
within the ULA domain).
That said, since in this scenario there already is an implicit
assumption of multiple prefixes being assigned to the host (at least a
ULA and a global), would having *another* ULA be such a big deal? The
host has to choose anyway between sourcing from 2 prefixes, so choosing
between 3 doesn't seem like a massive hurdle once we solve the source
address sel problem.

In general, reading through the ULA rfc, while there is a fair bot of
talk regarding pseudo-random ULA global-id's and use along with SLAAC,
there hardly is any reference to the scenario where there can be
multiple global-id's per site sourced by multiple routers. However, the
presence of a subnet-id indicates that the authors did have in mind a
more managed addressing assignment regime, which becomes undone in the
multiple router/gateway case.

> > Also, what is the proposed way of dealing with the case
> where the "2nd
> > router" stops hearing advertisements from the 1st router? There are
> > some interesting failure scenarios here, which may call for a more
> > elaborate router-router discovery protocol, eg VRRP.
>
> indeed.
>
> the reason for me asking the question was:
> - are these requirements violating any RFC?
> - as this behaviour is not covered in existing IPv6 RFCs are
> they clear enough for implementors to implement?
> - are these requirements sufficient to solve the whole problem?
> - do we need any IETF work to cover these 'gaps'?
> - is this a problem which should be solved?

It would seem that VRRP addresses at least some of the behaviour.

-Woj.