On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 07:45:44AM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Bill,

> >> Agreed.
> >>
> >> RD
> >
> >     aren't you making the assumption that the recursive resolver is
> >     on/in the same broadcast domain as the stub which it is serving?
> >     how can you ensure that the IP reachability of the stub is "semantically
> >     simialar"** to the IP reachability of the recursive resolver?
> >
> >     the DNS has no hooks into topological reachability.
>
> Correct, but a hack in this area by definition can't cover all cases.

        does it even cover a statistically significant fraction of cases?

> Er, much better to mend the IPv6 brokenness, of course.

        then why not spend the energy/resouce on ensuring v6 transport
        works instead of wasting this on what is clearly a DNS haq for
        a temporary condition?  Or is this a case of "when all we have is
        the DNS, everything looks like a query/response"?