A question for the WG.

Underneath the diagram of the TEP's, there is reference to the fact that the
input keys to the modulo(N) hash are quite large, which could be problematic
for HW implementations.  However, below that, in the last bullet in Section 2,
there is a statement about adding the flow-label to the existing 5-tuple hash
which would increase the input keys from 296 bits to 316 bits, which seems
somewhat contradictory to what was said above.  Perhaps we could change the
existing recommendation around to be as follows:
---snip---
  o  At intermediate router(s) that perform ECMP or LAG for packets
     whose source address is a TEP, the hash MUST minimally include
     the triple {dest addr, source addr, flow label} to meet the
     [RFC3697] rules.  In practice, since the routers are assumed to be
     unaware of tunneled traffic, this means intermediate router(s)
     SHOULD add the flow label to the existing 5-tuple hash of the
     outer IP header.
---snip---

More generally, this really raises the question of the practicality of
searching for Layer-4 protocol, source & destination port info in headers and
using them as input keys for LAG + ECMP when forwarding IPv6, particularly on
high-speed core routers.  Ultimately, if the flow-label was known to denote a
proper "microflow" (as defined by RFC 2474), then it would make HW
implementations much simpler in that they have a known & fixed set of header
fields, specifically: {dest address, src address + flow-label}, they would use
as input keys for LAG + ECMP.  Arguably, it makes adding Extension Headers
easier in the future, as well, given that we don't have to worry as much about
intermediate routers being unable to look past them ...  Of course, the
downside is this effectively boxes out any other (future) use of the
flow-label.  Thoughts?

-shane