What intermediate node are we talking about for a tunneled packet?  If
the tunnel ingress point has followed RFC 2473, the packet goes to the
egress without any MTU problems.  See section 7-7.2 of RFC 2473.  My
recommendation is to focus the discussion to the operational issue that
Erik raised and ascertain if the issue is a valid issue for the RPL
network or not.  I see David Culler has already replied to Erik.

Hemant