David,

I will let Erik reply.  For now, I am trying to understand RPL.

What do you mean by route WITHIN a RPL network?  Sorry I am not familiar
with the RPL network topology.  However, let me try and understand.  If
the RPL network is a mesh of nodes where the mesh has ONLY one IPv6
router (besides the router at the edge of the RPL and non-RPL network
boundary), then, say, such a router adds an RH on receiving a packet
with size equal to link MTU and forwards the packet.  Since there is no
other router in the mesh (besides the one that added the RH), what node
exists in the RPL domain to send an ICMPv6 Too Big error message to the
sender?  Only a router can issue an ICMPv6 error message.  But if the
RPL mesh has more than one IPv6 router, then Erik seems to have a valid
operational issue to be addressed.

I think it will help folks in 6man, if we have one person from the roll
WG present roll at the next IETF in Maastricht. The presentation,
amongst other things, should explain basic IPv6 data forwarding of the
RPL network.  Or has such a presentation been already made to 6man in an
earlier IETF?  I know at the last IETF in Anaheim, the 6lowpan folks
presented their core document in 6man.

Thanks,

Hemant