* Patrik Lahti | 2010-07-07 13:55:17 [-0400]:

>I'm of the opinion that IPv6 Neighbor Discovery packets are important
>to keep the network functioning and perhaps should be classified as
>network or internetwork control packets and be prioritized
>accordingly.

See RFC 4594, section 3

>Currently many implementations send Neighbor Discovery traffic using
>the default (Best Effort, i.e. zero) DSCP value, and e.g. if other
>higher priority traffic (lets say a lot of voice traffic) is
>competing for bandwidth then ND may cease to function correctly
>potentially leading to all sorts of havoc. Hosts can't get addresses,
>can't detect if they're duplicate, can't find default routers, etc.
>Even if the outage is temporary, the user experience may already have
>suffered.
>
>Yes, ND is only used on the link, and no routers would look at the
>DSCP in ND messages when forwarding. However, the network stack using
>internal QoS mechanisms may experience congestions locally, and link
>level devices may experience congestion too and the DSCP is often
>mapped into link layer QoS mechanisms.
>
>What are your thoughts? Can you shed some light on this topic? Does
>this fall into implementation defined behaviour?

Yes and no. RFC 4594, section 3 talk about Network Control Traffic:

   Network control traffic is defined as packet flows that are essential
   for stable operation of the administered network as well as for
   information that may be exchanged between neighboring networks across
   a peering point where SLAs are in place.  Network control traffic is
   different from user application control (signaling) that may be
   generated by some applications or services.  Network control traffic
   is mostly between routers and network nodes that are used for
   operating, administering, controlling, or managing the network
   segments.  Network Control Traffic may be split into two service
   classes, i.e., Network Control and OAM.

The RFC focus on routing protocols (OSPF, BGP, ISIS, RIP). But your are right,
ND can and should also be treated as network control traffic. You already
mentioned it, the scope of link local traffic is limited but I am aware of some
environments where the network layer DSCP is the basis for link layer queueing
and 802.3p CoS marking.

Concrete example (Linux centric):

tc qdisc add dev eth0.1 root handle 1: prio
tc filter add dev eth0.1 parent 1:0 protocol all u32 match u32 0 0 action
skbedit priority 3

Later on the RFC _recommends_ for network control traffic DSCP marking CS6
(Class Selector 6). And this is the most important fact: it is and should be a
suggestion because quality of service and DiffServ marking is a _operational
requirement_. There can be environments where network control traffic should be
treated as DF (Default Forwarding). Think about low latency trading environment
with several priority levels. You cannot and should not artificial limit the
system by dictate the use of DSCP - the recommendations are sufficient.

Cheers, Hagen

--
Hagen Paul Pfeifer <ha...@jauu.net>  ||  http://blog.jauu.net/
Telephone: +49 174 5455209           ||  Key Id: 0x98350C22