On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:56:56 -0400, Patrik Lahti  wrote:

> Thanks Hagen,

My pleasure!

> Do I understand correctly then that it's essentially something that
> should be configurable and that there are practical reasons for needing
> to have the ability to configure it?

If your or any other environment favor link local traffic by special
egress queuing and/or switching and it is therefore advantageously - why
not! The whole diffserv thing should not overrated. It is a clean and nice
basis to classify packets and it is up to the environment to treat a packet
special or not. The RFCs provides a standardized recommendation to achieve
a consistent view. Not more and not less.

> If so, what is your (and others') opinion on whether it should be
> configurable per ND message type? And/or should DSCP be copied from the
> invoking packet?

First question: yes
Seconds question:  this is often a kernel-only-thing and I cannot estimate
the whole impact. So: maybe. ;-)

Cheers, Hagen