Hi Dave,

(Is something up with the 6man mailing list? I've had a few replies,
including one from Philip, none of them have CC'd ipv6@ietf.org, nor
have I seen any replies via the list, and yet below seems show that a
copy of Philip's email made it through. I have received a 3 I-D action
emails via the list since I posted. I'm pretty sure nothing has changed
in my email client to stop it showing or processing CC's. Quite
strange.)

Question at the end.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:12:17 +0000
Dave Thaler <dtha...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> [...]

I'm a bit confused by that. My understanding of NUD was that it's main
function is to ensure that existing entries in the neighbor cache are
valid. If NUD fails, then the entry is removed from the neighbor cache
so that next time that destination IPv6 address is sent to, the absence
of a neighbor cache entry would trigger an NS/NA transaction.

So if ND NS/NA transactions aren't performed on these point-to-point
links, wouldn't that mean there is nothing for NUD to validate? What
would be the target address of the NUD probes if they can take place
without ND NS/NA transactions priming the neighbor cache with entries?

Thanks,
Mark.