In your letter dated Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:26:47 +0930 you wrote:
>I'm a bit confused by that. My understanding of NUD was that it's main
>function is to ensure that existing entries in the neighbor cache are
>valid. If NUD fails, then the entry is removed from the neighbor cache
>so that next time that destination IPv6 address is sent to, the absence
>of a neighbor cache entry would trigger an NS/NA transaction.
>
>So if ND NS/NA transactions aren't performed on these point-to-point
>links, wouldn't that mean there is nothing for NUD to validate? What
>would be the target address of the NUD probes if they can take place
>without ND NS/NA transactions priming the neighbor cache with entries?

I agree with that. I tried for a while to skip the ND step and only do NUD,
but it doesn't fit within the framework for RFC-4861. The separation could
be useful for 6to4.

For point-to-point links, which can do multicast trivially, there is no excuse
for not doing full ND (unless it is a link between two routers that actually
use hellos in the routing protocol to determine whether the other side is
alive).