To reply to Julian's mail.  I think the issue is more about deployments rather
than devices.  I know plenty of low-powered devices that have successfully
implemented
/ deployed IPsec, when needed. However, I think the real issue is that in many
circumstances, people feel that deployment specific issues are motivation not to
implement / use IPsec.  Why write the code if it will never be used is often
the
comment I have heard.

I would think it would be good if most hosts could support IPsec, for many
reasons,
but there will be some special purpose networks & devices that will never need
IPsec.  I would like it if we could rather discuss the use of IPsec and the
requirements
for implementing IPsec in nodes more on a deployment basis rather than a hw
specific reason.

My thinking is that if a node will need to participate in secure transaction,
have
and send data that might need to be protected, and to harden the node against
certain threat vectors, than a MUST is entirely appropriate.  If there are other
mechanisms that are used for security, including transport layer security, which
are more appropriate and cover the threat vectors that the node may be
susceptible
to, then that may be more appropriate.  If, for some reason, the node will have
specific deployment where security is not needed for any reason, then the
requirement
drops to a SHOULD.  I would still suggest it is SHOULD because the person
writing
the SW stack will never know all of the scenarios that the node will be
deployed.

John