On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:36:36 +0200
a...@natisbad.org (Arnaud Ebalard) wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas Narten <nar...@us.ibm.com> writes:
>
> > Thoughts?
>
> IPsec and IKE have seen limited deployment on IPv4 networks due to the
> lack of E2E there, caused by NAT (client/server model and deployment of
> TLS for protecting *applications*). Additionally, I also agree that
> IKEv1 specification documents (RFC 2407, 2408 and 2409) were a
> pain. PKI were not deployed and this was a problem too.
>
> Today, IPv6 provides E2E connectivity between end hosts. The work
> performed by ipsecme WG on IKEv2 specification to merge previous IKEv1
> documents into something consistent (RFC 4306, RFC 4718 and now ikev2bis
> document) is impressive. PKI are now widely deployed, even if we still
> miss some global credential services. Now, most stacks (windows, linux,
> mac os x, ...) have IPv6 and IPsec available. Basically, IPv6, IPsec and
> IKE are already available on all devices which can and have any interest
> to run those.
>
> Now, the (IMHO only) remaining problems with IPsec and IKE on IPv6
> networks are the following:
>
>  - lack of global credential services (if some @google reads this ...).
>  - ability for end user to configure things easily, i.e. simple and
>    *usable* management interfaces

RFC 5386 / Better-Than-Nothing Security goes some way to addressing
that. Obviously not as secure as properly identified peers, but as the
name says (far) better than nothing.

I also think we should observe what seemed to have happened with the
DECT standards. Encryption was optional, so when I went to try to find
a DECT phone with it, I couldn't easily find one (and didn't). Cryto
does add a cost, however the scales of economy caused by mandating it
reduce that cost.

I'm also not completely sure the embedded platform load concern is a
strong one anymore. The IEEE have mandated 128 bit AES encryption for
the 802.15.4 / LoWPAN standards, and they're targeted at low power
embedded platforms.

So while I think the reasons to loosen the IPsec requirement are
fairly valid, I'd be concerned that it would cause the "DECT
problem" to happen.