Sri - I agree with all of your comments including the statement that RO is a key feature of MIPv6. I would add a caveat that there is not much incentive for a large scale server to implement RO, as it benefits the mobile node user rather than the application or the hosting service. It seems RO in that case might be a "value-add" that services pitched at mobile end-users might advertise as advantageous. In several conversations with vendors, there is resistance to the idea of making RO mandatory for all hosts.

Remembering that by SHOULD we mean YOU REALLY SHOULD. REALLY. WE MEAN IT! (Unless you have a very good reason not to) which is every so slightly less imperative than MUST, can we avoid the SHOULD/MUST argument by keeping it as SHOULD but adding some strong language reiterating the importance of RO and the market value of having it?

For example, in the US DoD IPv6 Profiles document the following language has been included at least the last couple of annual revisions, attempting to address this issue. Maybe some of this text would help. Full disclosure: I am an editor on the cited document, and the wording on misalignment of incentive comes from prior discussions with Thomas Narten on the subject.

"Any IPv6 Capable Node can interoperate with a MIPv6 Mobile Node as a Correspondent Node as stated in Section 8.1 of RFC 3775 (no additional functionality is required). MIPv6 includes a feature called “Route Optimization” which increases the efficiency of packet routing between a Mobile Node and Correspondent Node. An IPv6 Capable Node to be deployed where MIPv6 is prevalent SHOULD support Route Optimization as defined in RFC 3775.

Route Optimization presents some unique challenges. There is a misalignment of incentive – for RO to be effective it must be widely implemented by the Correspondent Nodes including general purpose servers for which it provides no benefit. RO certainly would provide performance enhancement for a geographically dispersed enterprise, where it would eliminate triangular routing of packets to a home network when the MN was visiting a location where the enterprise maintained corporate servers. While it would be helpful for general servers to support RO, due to current lack of MIPv6 deployments and the small benefit it does not make sense to require RO for servers at this time.

RO raises some security concerns, especially in deployments where it would be undesirable to reveal the location of a travelling MIPv6 MN. At least an approximate location can be derived from IPv6 prefix of the network where the MN is operating. In those cases, it would be better to disable RO in the MN and rely on the Home Agent to conceal the current location of the MN."