On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Karl Auer <ka...@biplane.com.au> wrote:
>> > Randy, could you elaborate please? Not sure I see what you are getting
>> > at. Do you mean that if people do not use DHCPv6, they will have a
>> > problem tracking which IP addresses are in use?
>>
>> for audit purposes, one wants to know which host did the dirty on
>> wednesday at 17:23.  most large enterprises base firewall rules on ip
>> address.  blah blah blah.
>
> Hm. Any host can take an address in its subnet - i.e. bypass DHCP. This
> is as true of IPv6 as it is of IPv4. Any host that does SLAAC is

Sure... but 99.99% of hosts (in the scenario randy brings up) will
just use whatever info the host gets for config, they won't go off
inventing things on their own.

> "bypassing" DHCPv6. So something has to watch the DHCP traffic and
> dynamically permit addresses that have been allocated via DHCP. Is it

oh: "If your address isn't in the firewall, you can't pass through"

> that step that concerns you? I.e., if hosts are doing SLAAC their DHCP
> activity doesn't exist, so instead hosts will have to be assigned static
> addresses and permitted in firewalls etc statically?

yea... so in the ipv4 world of enterprise networking lots of times the
host's have "static addresses" mapped to them via DHCP. This way some
set of privileges can be assigned (or just: "your machine is called
bob, ping bob, see, your machine is working" as an example) via
firewall/etc rules (or hosts.allow or ...). Or, control over what/who
gets access to the LAN. Permitting random things to connect to your
LAN (easily) and dhcp an address from an address pool is very often a
bad plan.

I can see that in the ipv6 world I'd want to do the same sort of
thing, assign addresses (and retain the capability to shift dns, tftp,
wins, etc) around from a central control point. I'd also like to not
have random things plugged into my LAN get globally reachable
addresses (and/or access to my internal LAN's secrets, etc).

-Chris