On 2010-10-16 11:16, David Conrad wrote:
> Mark,
>
> On Oct 15, 2010, at 11:48 AM, Mark Smith wrote:
>> So it won't be possible for the ISP to provide a
>> managed CPE service, because they don't control and can't be in control
>> of when the firmware is released to the CPE customers.
>
> I'd think that recommending having an option that disables unattended
> automatic update would address this concern.  Managed service providers,
> since they'd be controlling the CPE, could go in and disable unattended
> automatic updates (if they so desire).

I think the discussion has shown that we (the IETF) don't have consensus
and that legal and commercial requirements will vary enormously in the
real world. To me there's only one possible conclusion: the IETF can't
"legislate" on this. So again here is my suggestion:

REC-13:
Residential Internet Gateways SHOULD provide a convenient means to
securely update their firmware, for the installation of security patches
and other manufacturer-recommended changes.

    Brian