On Oct 15, 2010, at 3:40 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

>> I'd think that recommending having an option that disables unattended
>> automatic update would address this concern.  Managed service providers,
>> since they'd be controlling the CPE, could go in and disable unattended
>> automatic updates (if they so desire).
>
> I think the discussion has shown that we (the IETF) don't have consensus
> and that legal and commercial requirements will vary enormously in the
> real world. To me there's only one possible conclusion: the IETF can't
> "legislate" on this. So again here is my suggestion:
>
> REC-13:
> Residential Internet Gateways SHOULD provide a convenient means to
> securely update their firmware, for the installation of security patches
> and other manufacturer-recommended changes.

I have been following this discussion with a view to figuring out what
recommendations SHOULD be made :-) A key concern I have here, as I said last
week, is the difference between a residential gateway and a laptop; A laptop's
owner at least knows whether an irritating icon is jumping up and down or has
the opportunity to see a dialog box; I don't see that happening with the router
in my equipment closet under the stairs.

It seems that we agree that there are at least two options that need support:
   - automated software update
   - manually initiated software update

One could go into other mechanisms such as having the user download the new
image to a laptop and then TFTP it to a router. Some things are best left
unsuggested, for fear that the vendor might say "hey, that's a great idea!".

In both cases, the update has to be initiated by the residential CPE, for scale
and reliability, and if automated should be randomized in time for reasons
discussed in RFC 3439. Having the ISP or the vendor manage a list of the IP
addresses of deployed routers is (ahem) problematic.

In both cases, we need a way to specify the URL and certificate of the download
site. I should imagine the vendor would preconfigure them, and an ISP running
managed services could configure a different URL+certificate in routers it
deploys. There is of course the question of what happens should the parameter
memory get zapped; I would leave that to the vendor. There is also the question
of how the device knows whether it has already downloaded the image; I for one
would do that by having the URL change itself, so that the client system ca
always get access to an older image as a recovery path and so it can tell
whether the image it is requesting is in fact new.

In preceding recommendations, the format of the document is to state a
recommendation and follow it with an explanatory note.

Which brings me to this suggestion:

/*
 * suggestion
 */
REC-13:
Residential Internet Gateways SHOULD provide a convenient means to securely
update their firmware, for the installation of security patches and other
manufacturer-recommended changes.

Vendors can expect users and operators to have differing viewpoints on the
maintenance of patches, with some preferring automated update and some
preferring manual initiation, and those preferring automated update wanting to
download from a vendor site or one managed by the network operator. To handle
the disparity, vendors are well advised if they provide manual and automated
options. In the automated case, they would do well to facilitate
pre-configuration of the download URL and a means of validating the software
image such as a certificate.
/*
 * end of suggestion
 */