Fernando,

Thanks for the comments. About the non-editorial points:

On 2010-12-16 09:39, Fernando Gont wrote:
> Section 2 states:
>
>>    Also, it could be used as a covert data channel, since apparently
>>    pseudo-random flow label values could in fact consist of encrypted
>>    data.
>
> Actually, an attacker willing to exploit this field for a covert channel
> would *not* set it to a pseudo-random value, but simply to the data
> bytes it is meaning to transfer over the covert channel.

Yes, that is what the text is supposed to mean. When you look at dbeef,
you can't tell whether it's a perfectly good random number, part of a
cleartext message about steak, or part of a cyphertext. Would it
be more general to say

    Also, it could be used as a covert data channel, since apparently
    pseudo-random flow label values could in fact consist of useful
    data.

> Section 2:
>
>> In this
>>    sense, any use of the flow label must be viewed as an optimisation on
>>    a best effort basis; a packet with a changed (or zero) flow label
>>    value should never cause a hard failure.
>
> If a packet with a changed flow label should not cause malfunction, and
> as you correctly note the Flow Label is not even covered by a checksum,
> the requirement of "A forwarding node MUST NOT change the flow label
> value in an arriving packet if it is non-zero" (in Section 4, page 7) is
> bogus. If anything, it should be a "SHOULD NOT".

I understood the WG preference to be for stating the *requirement* as
MUST NOT. Conformance is another matter.

>>    o  The flow label is no longer unrealistically asserted to be
>>       strictly immutable; it is recognised that it may, incorrectly, be
>>       changed en route.  In some circumstances this will break end-to-
>>       end usage, e.g. potential detection of third-party spoofing
>>       attacks [I-D.gont-6man-flowlabel-security].
>
> end-to-end usage is already broken by the fact that the Flow Label is
> not protected in any way. e.g., you cannot reliably use the Flow Label
> to protect against off-path spoofing attacks. (This is also exacerbated
> by some implementations not even setting the Flow Label consistently).

Well, if you make that argument, every nonce-based security solution is
broken, because there is always a finite chance that an attacker can guess
the nonce. Again, my reading of the WG discussion is to accept the
situation as described in the draft.

> Section 4 (page 7):
>
>>    3.  A forwarding node MUST NOT change the flow label value in an
>>        arriving packet if it is non-zero.
>
> See above.

See above ;-)

Regards