Fernando Gont <ferna...@gont.com.ar> writes:

> On 03/01/2011 06:25 p.m., Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> > The basic motivation for the present draft is clear:
> >
> >>    However,
> >>    some intermediate nodes such as firewalls, may need to look at the
> >>    transport layer header fields in order to make a decision to allow or
> >>    deny the packet.
> >
> > That is, help middleboxes to violate e2e transparency and, furthermore,
> > allow unknown headers to cross those middleboxes.

> I don't think this I-D will make a difference.

> From the POV of a firewall, unless it really wants a packet to
> pass-through, it will block it.

I think this is the crux of the problem. firewalls, by default,
discard stuff. They don't like the idea of allowing unknown or
"uncommon" things through.  Defining new options and expecting
firewalls to give them a blank check to go through I suspect is
wishful thinking.

And look at this from the perspective of someone who wants to deploy a
new option. If 80% of the firewalls allow the new option through, will
this be good enough for deployment? Doubtful. What about 98%
cooperation from firewalls? Again, quite possibly not.

Unless this document is widely implemented in practice, it's far from
clear it is useful. We've seen time and time again that deploying
something new is a non-starter if there are key parts of the
infrastructure that don't support or allow it.

I remain skeptical that this draft solves a real problem in a
meaningful way.

Thomas