On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Tore Anderson wrote:

* Iljitsch van Beijnum

IPv6 BGP does in fact carry gloal and link local next hop addresses.

Yes, but my point is that if you don't configure a global (at least
non-link-local) prefix on the router interconnections, there's no global
address that can be announced as the BGP next-hop. With no global
address, the immediate link-local next-hop cannot be resolved in the
IGP, and the route is discarded. Or am I missing something?

For example, here's my BGP route to your e-mail domain. The key item
here is ?Protocol next hop: 2a02:228:81:100::?, which is the remote
router in the link-net to AS3292. If this link was numbered with
link-local addresses only, I don't see how this route could possibly be
used, unless you start mangling the BGP next-hop?

With C vendor there is a built in knob for mangling next-hop. In this case I don't like the idea of BGP with link-local:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/configuration/guide/ip6-mptcl_bgp.html#wp1037072

--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com/