On 16/03/2011 01:51 p.m., Brian Haley wrote:

> I have an almost off-topic comment, but since I've seen no mention of it
> in any of these privacy threads...
>
> You have to assume in a large data center that almost every MAC address you
> encounter is going to be randomly generated.

Are they actually random? i.e., I'm curious about the algorithm used for
generating the Interface IDs.

> This is because there are
> *lots* of virtual machines out there, and the density of them is increasing
> exponentially.  Their MACs could change daily as they are deployed and
> decommissioned, but from their perspective their MAC is hardware-based.
> I know you have this as a "SHOULD" requirement, but figured I should mention
> it since it's one of those places where this bit will be completely ignored.

>From the point of view of the VMs, they would still be using Modified
EUI-64 Interface Identifiers. This is not that different from the case
in which the admin sets the MAC address of an interface to some value
that he wants (other than the *real* address of the interface). IMHO,
this is out-of-scope for this document.

Thanks!

Best regards,
--