Bruno,
Thanks for this information.

Best Regards,
Paul

From: Bruno Silvestre [mailto:br.silves...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:17 PM
To: jaehoon.p...@gmail.com
Cc: soohong.p...@samsung.com; smadanapa...@gmail.com; Jaehoon Jeong; Carlos;
Nuno Veiga; ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: DNS configuration for Wireless networks using Router Advertisement

Dear All !

We found the solution of the problem.

There was a problem in the clients side and not in the 'radvd' service.

In fact, 'Windows 7 and Vista' clients do not consider the RDNSS option
advertised by radvd.

In linux clients like Ubuntu 10.04, we installed a daemon to solve this.
In Ubuntu 11.04, there is no need to install any daemon.

For windows 7 and Vista, we had to install a program called 'rdnssd_win32',
which is an implementation of the RFC 6106 for Microsoft Windows. It parses the
RDNSS options present in Router Advertisement (RA), get the DNS nameservers and
write them in the registry.

Many thanks for your support,

Bruno.
2011/5/17 Bruno Silvestre
Dear Mr. Jeong,

I am currently developping an IPv6 project for University purposes for wireless
networks and mobile devices.

We configured radvd (router advertisement) to advertise a prefix in order to
enable the AutoConfiguration of the hosts.

This process works fine.

However, we encounter problems to advertise DNS configuration.

In fact, it seems that Android devices ( SDK 2.2 and 2.3 mobile phones) do not
support DHCPv6, and so we should advertise the DNS configuration (DNS servers)
by using Router Advertisement ??

According the RFC6106, this should be possible...

But it seems that 'radvd' ignores the RDNSS and DNSSL options...

We are running 'radvd' under Ubuntu Server.

Is there any way to advertise the DNS configuration via Router Advertisement
with radvd ?
Do you know about some 'radvd' version, which can run these configurations for
Ubuntu Server ?
We are currently running radvd 1.6.

Thank you very much in advance,

Bruno