Hi, Jean-Michel,

On 06/16/2011 02:13 PM, Jean-Michel Combes wrote:
> IMHO, this draft should update RFC 6105 (If so, RFC6105 reference
> should move from Informative References section to the Normative
> References one).

Yep.

> Just a comment about your example for the fragmentation case with 2
> Destination extensions: from RFC2460 (section 4.1), this only occurs
> when there is also a Routing Header extension, so I have to add a RH
> in your example (better chance to get a fragmentation :))

The specs allow for multiple instances of the same extension headers.
Hence, even if possibly non-sensical, the example in Section 4.1 is
legitime.

> o draft-gont-6man-nd-extension-headers
>
> IMHO, this is not a good idea to forbid the use of IPv6 extension with
> NDP messages, especially when the reason is partially based on
> implementation issues (i.e. the implementation is not able to process
> an IPv6 packet):

Well, I'd argue that it is an operational issue, rather than an
implementation issue. -- And chances are that if it is not possible to
implement a simple solution for this concrete problem, some may start
filtering *all* packets that include extension headers (in particular,
those in which the uper layer protocol is not present in the first fragment)

> today, there is no real use of Extension header with
> NDP but, tomorrow, if we need such an use for a solution, what will
> happen?

Among the options is that we could state that implementations should
provide a switch to enable the processing of extension headers, but that
it should default to off.

> Regarding the fragmentation, is it not possible for the RA-Guard
> device to reassemble the fragments and so to be able to check whether
> this a RA message or not?

This would open the door to DoS attacks -- the attacker would simply
fire lots of fragments that would never get to be reassembled. -- then
you're back into the same place (or probably a worse one).

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: ferna...@gont.com.ar || fg...@acm.org