See also section 2.5.4 of RFC 4291:
"All Global Unicast addresses other than those that start with binary
 000 have a 64-bit interface ID field (i.e., n + m = 64), formatted as
 described in Section 2.5.1."

So I'd say the answer is the IID MUST be 64 bits long, and MUST
satisfy the properties of uniqueness discussed in 2.5.1 (and set the
"u" bit accordingly).  An IID in modified EUI-64 format satisfies these
requirements, but in general IIDs are formed according to rules specified
by the particular "IP over ..." RFC, e.g. RFC 4944.  For example, an
actual EUI-64 may be preferred for interfaces that have them.
Finally, those with privacy concerns may elect methods for creating
IIDs that mask the underlying hardware identifier; see RFC 3041.

HTH, -K-