* Karl Auer:

> I'm puzzled by something in RFC1981, which discusses PMTUD and IPv6.
>
> It contains these two paragraphs towards the end of Section 4:
>
>    A node MUST NOT reduce its estimate of the Path MTU below the IPv6
>    minimum link MTU.
>
>       Note: A node may receive a Packet Too Big message reporting a
>       next-hop MTU that is less than the IPv6 minimum link MTU.  In that
>       case, the node is not required to reduce the size of subsequent
>       packets sent on the path to less than the IPv6 minimun link MTU,
>       but rather must include a Fragment header in those packets [IPv6-
>       SPEC].

I've recently submitted an erratum to section 5 of RFC 2460, which
contains a similar requirement.  The requirement makes it impossible to
serve IPv6 services in a stateless fashion, so it's clearly bogus.
(Technically, you could always include the Fragment header, but that
would be an ugly kludge.)

--
Florian Weimer                <fwei...@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99