Hi Robert,

Thanks for your review.  We'll try to address what we can in the next revision.
 See below:

On Dec 21, 2011, at 5:25 AM, Robert Cragie wrote:

> Looks like I missed the boat, but I also had some comments on
> draft-ietf-6man-rpl-routing-header-07:
>
> _More significant comments_
>
> p7: RPL Instance ID - why is this needed for source routing? RPL is not even
> used for source routing. This flavors the SRH unnecessarily and the
> processing does not use it. If the reason is for checking entering and
> exiting a RPL domain, this processing needs to be stated.

Page 12 describes processing rules intended to keep the SRH within a RPL
Instance.

> p10: "In order to respect the IPv6 Hop Limit value of the original datagram,
> a RPL router generating an SRH MUST set the Segments Left to no greater than
> the original datagram's IPv6 Hop Limit value upon forwarding.". This language
> is confusing. 'upon forwarding' suggests that it is the 'IPv6 Hop Limit - 1'
> value, and again only if it is forwarded, but it is not clear. Also, an
> 'original datagram' may not always be *forwarded*, i.e. if it originates on
> the RPL router itself.

"Upon forwarding" was intended to indicate "upon submitting to the proper
interface for forwarding".  Would you prefer the RFC 2473 language: "during
forwarding"?  We purposely did not indicate that it is the IPv6 Hop Limit - 1
value because, as you indicate, the original datagram may  originate on the
router itself.

> p10: "In the case that the source route is longer than the original
> datagram's IPv6 Hop Limit, only the initial hops (determined by the original
> datagram's IPv6 Hop Limit) should be included in the SRH.". This means it is
> unlikely to reach its destination, so why bother?

To support traceroute, which was an application that ZigBee/IP members
indicated was important.

> p10: "If the RPL router is not the source of the original datagram, the
> original datagram's IPv6 Hop Limit field is decremented before generating the
> SRH." If this were placed the the beginning of the paragraph, it might be
> clearer.

Agree.

> p10: "After generating the SRH, the RPL router decrements the original
> datagram's IPv6 Hop Limit value by the SRH Segments Left value.  Processing
> the SRH Segments Left and original datagram's IPv6 Hop Limit fields in this
> way ensures that ICMPv6 Time Exceeded errors occur as would be expected on
> more traditional IPv6 networks that forward datagrams without tunneling."
> It's not really a tunnel then as defined by RFC 2473 and somewhat conflicts
> with what's written in RFC 2473. Also, you don't want to do this when the
> packet is not tunneled or you will be double counting.

Agree that this is in conflict with RFC 2473, but necessary to support
traceroute as requested by ZigBee/IP members.  We can add text that clearly
states this difference with RFC 2473.

> _Minor (use of language) comments:_
>
> Throughout: Inconsistent use of:
>
> 1. 'router'
> 2. 'RPL router'
> 3. 'RPL Router'
>
> (3) (note capitalization) is a defined term. (1) and (2) are used generally
> but inconsistently. Use 'RPL router' to mean a 'RPL Border Router' or a 'RPL
> Router' throughout. Use 'a RPL router' as introductory to a sentence and, if
> necessary, 'the router' only to refer to the introduced RPL router, although
> 'the RPL router' is generally better. This would make the document clearer in
> places.

Agree.

> p1: "or few routers" -> "or a few routers". Reason for change: 'few routers'
> on its own implies 'not many routers'.

Agree.

> p6: "In the scenarios above, R may indicate a RPL Border Router (when
> connecting to other routing domains) or a RPL Router" -> "In the scenarios
> above, the RPL router R may indicate a RPL Border Router (when connecting to
> other routing domains) or a RPL Router". Reason for change: This introduces
> the term 'RPL router' as either a 'RPL Border Router' or a 'RPL Router' (note
> both are defined terms) correctly for the subsequent paragraph.

Agree.

> p6: "One such use case with RPL is to have all RPL traffic flow through a
> Border Router and have the Border Router use source routes to deliver
> datagrams to their final destination.  When including the SRH using tunneled
> mode, the Border Router would encapsulate the received datagram unmodified
> using IPv6-in-IPv6 and include a SRH in the outer IPv6 header." -> "One such
> use case with RPL is to have all RPL traffic flow through a RPL Border Router
> and have the RPL Border Router use source routes to deliver datagrams to
> their final destination.  When including the SRH using tunneled mode, the RPL
> Border Router would encapsulate the received datagram unmodified using
> IPv6-in-IPv6 and include a SRH in the outer IPv6 header." Reason for change:
> Uses
> the correct terminology.

Agree.

> p6: "In the above scenario, datagrams travel from S to D through LBR" -> "In
> the above scenario, datagrams travel from S to D through the RPL Border
> Router LBR (referred to as LBRs in [I-
> D.ietf-roll-terminology])". Reason for change: Clarify what LBR is.

Agree.

Thanks again.

--
Jonathan Hui