Speaking for myself, I don't understand the fixation on MAC addresses. Yes,
Ethernet and other IEEE standards are widely used. They are not used on serial
links (we seem to mostly use /127 prefixes for that), they are not used on the
air side of 3G etc, and so on. And as a matter of fact, for all the discussion
of Modified EUI-64 aaddresses in RFC 4291, a host or router sending a packet to
another host or router that is directly connected at L3 doesn't extract his
peer's MAC address from his IPv6 EID. The point of using a MAC address to
generate an EID was to make it likely that the EID was unique within the
subnet, not to derive it back again. Once it's an EID, it doesn't matter how it
was derived. So from my perspective, the entirety of Appendix A and section
2.5.1 could be replaced with "The EID is intended to be a 64 bit number unique
within the subnet. One way to generate such a number is from another number
such as is specified by EUI-64, EUI-48, E.164, or E.212, an IPv
 4 address, or a serial number specific to the hardware in question."

The point of this document is that *another* way to generate it is using a
random number generator (privacy addresses), but in such a case there may be
certain stability requirements for operational reasons.

May I suggest that the right way to address this is to use much of fernando's
technical commentary to substantiate the stability requirements and the need to
change it when the prefix is changed (for reasons including a change of LAN,
but also including renumbering events) and write a short document updating RFC
4291 to remove the fixation on one of many possible EID types.