Hi, Suresh,

Thanks so much for yur feedback! -- Please find my comments in-line...

On 06/30/2012 02:48 AM, Suresh Krishnan wrote:
>> I simply disagree. While I have no objection with including "a crisper
>> definition of what 'entire IPv6 header chain'", I think claiming that
>> "the draft in current for is not actionable" is taking it way too far.
>> For instance, a bunch of people clearly understood what the document is
>> talking about -- with the entire IPv6 header chain being all headers
>> from the fixed IPv6 header chain, till the upper layer protocol (TCP,
>> UDP, etc. -- assuming there's one of those), including any extension
>> headers.
>
> This description works for me. Just put it in the draft and we are all set.

Ok, great!

>> Essentially, what is important is the sending behaviour: You must
>> include the entire IPv6 header chain in the first fragment. Intermediate
>> nodes may simply forward non-compliant packets, but may also decide to
>> drop them -- ditto for end nodes.
>
> I asked because there is a legitimate problem that you raise in Section 4
>
> "However, if the first
>    fragment fails to include the entire IPv6 header chain, they may have
>    no option other than "blindly" allowing or blocking the corresponding
>    fragment.  If they blindly allow the packet, then the firewall can be
>    easily circumvented by intentionally sending fragmented packets that
>    fail to include the entire IPv6 header chain in the first fragment."
>
> but the draft does nothing to mitigate this issue.

Well, the problem *was* that at least in theory such packets could exist
in practice. Now that we'll ban those packets, then a middle-box is free
to drop first-fragments that fail to include the entire IPv6 header
chain, since those packets are illegitimate in the first place (i.e.,
problem solved!).

(Note: such packets have not been found in real networks, and
middle-boxes area already dropping them -- hence we're aligning the
specs with the real-world).

Thanks!

Best regards,
--