IETF should be running on a clamped MSS. The only benefits of floating MTU
upwards is an efficiency gain which is almost irrelevant for a text-mainly
website of this nature.

It would be lovely if they could rely on the other end, but a governance body
should be reachable all the time.

-G

(in my HO, and a private opinion unrelated to my employer)