On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 05:19:36PM +0100, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> ... OK, as a result of Dave's comments, we now say:
>
> "  Section 11 of RFC 4007 is updated to allow "-" as well as "%" as the
>    preceding delimiter of a ZoneID."
>
> What we do *not* say is to recommend or suggest that all tools that
> support RFC 4007 should be updated. Should we also add that?

I believe this direction is wrong. Allowing "-" does not replace "%"
anytime soon and hence we simply make the problem worse. The "%"
separator is also embedded in other IETF standards-track specifications; I
doubt they will all be revised soon to add "-". And then there is of
course the question what the canonical format is for comparisions etc.

I believe cut'n'paste from utilities to browsers and back to utilities
is desirable (it is not just one direction). All utilities I have
understand "%". How many years will cut'n'paste be a hassle if we
allow both formats?

>From a user experience point of view, the only really sensible thing
to do for a browser is to accept %en1 literally. And apparently, this
can be done. Changing all our standards to support "-" and then
waiting years for this to be supported by all the system tools is from
a users' perspective pretty much a disaster.

/js

Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany